Petition & Comparable Sales

Generally an appeal of your property taxes begins when you file a petition with the county of the town where your property is located. That generally is done by April 1 of each year, although sometimes the deadline is pushed to May 1 of the tax year if your town has undergone a municipal-wide reassessment.
The best evidence that you can use to show that your home is over-assessed is generally through using comparable sales, which are the sales prices of similar homes within your area. It is best to use three to five sales in the year that your home is currently assessed. So for the tax year of 2009, you would use comparable sales for 2008 that took place before October 1 of that year.

[MEDIA not found]