Stipulation of Extension of Time

If you have been served a complaint and feel that the time in which you need to answer—usually 35 days in New Jersey—is not enough, or if you do not have all of the information to answer properly or cannot retain an attorney in time, you may ask your current attorney to enter into a Stipulation of Extension of Time. This is basically an agreement between the plaintiff and you that allows you more time to answer. You may then file your answer within the agreed-upon time along with the stipulation.
It is important to remember that the extension of time is available only if you receive an agreement from the plaintiff. It is not automatic. The best thing to do is to retain an attorney as soon as possible if you are served with a complaint.

Get the Flash Player to see the wordTube Media Player.